Sushi is one of the best cuisines for vegetarians and vegans, despite there being lots of fish involved, there are usually more vegetables used than types of meat and fish! A lot of people are always confused when you tell them that you're veggie and you're gonna go for some sushi, usually you hear “but its all fish!”, because most people don't realise the word sushi means “sour” or “being sour”, not something that implies that it is meaty or fishy!
So, checking the menu, (and eating there probably a little too often!) the following items are suitable for vegans:
New Photo below Warning Info Options
Last updated: 16 Feb 2020
- Avocado Maki – Avocado & vegan mayo wrapped in a nori roll.
- Cucumber Maki – Crunchy cucumber and toasted sesame seed nori roll.
- Yasai Roll – Inari, avocado, cucumber, cos lettuce, and carrot roll, topped with teriyaki and vegan mayo.
- Glazed Aubergine Nigiri – Teriyaki glazed aubergine on sushi rice, wrapped with a nori band.
- Avocado Nigiri – Avocado topped rice with a nori band and a touch of vegan mayo.
- Inari Taco – Golden tofu pockets filled with rice, avocado, ponzu salsa, and vegan sriracha mayo.
- Yasai Roll Platters – 9 pieces of Yasai Roll (Inari, avocado, cucumber, cos lettuce, and carrot roll, topped with teriyaki and vegan mayo).
- Yasai Temaki – Cucumber, inari, and avocado with vegan mayo and toasted sesame seeds in a nori rice cone.
- Tenderstem and Sesame – Steamed tenderstem broccoli, served on a rich sesame sauce.
- Edamame – Succulent edamame in their pods. Sprinkled with sea salt and spring onion.
- Kaiso Seaweed – Marinated mixed seaweed, edamame, and carrot in a su-miso dressing.
- Harusame Aubergine Salad – Fried slices of aubergine in a garlic and ginger sesame soy dressing.
- Vegetable Gyoza – Spinach dumplings filled with cabbage, carrots, edamame, and more veggies. Served with soy vinegar.
- Tofu Katsu – Crispy tofu in Japanese panko drizzled with fruity tonkatsu sauce.
- Pumpkin Katsu – Naturally sweet, crispy bites of Japanese pumpkin drizzled with tonkatsu sauce.
- Pumpkin Katsu Curry – Naturally sweet, crispy bites of kabocha pumpkin with mild curry sauce, spring onion, and steamed rice. Go large: get more pumpkin and rice plus a salad.
- Tofu Katsu Curry – Crispy tofu with mild curry sauce, pickles, spring onion, and steamed rice. Go large: get more tofu and rice plus a salad.
- Vegetable Rice – Seasoned sushi rice stir-fried with fresh vegetables and shichimi chilli powder.
Shiitake Mushroom Ramen – Fresh noodles in a vegetable broth with sautéed shiitake mushrooms, tofu, and pak choi. Topped with pickled onions.
- Vegetable Yakisoba – Fresh yakisoba noodles stir-fried in a tangy sauce served with crunchy vegetables.
- Mushroom Teriyaki Burger – Braised slices of shiitake mushroom in teriyaki sauce, served with cucumber & pickled red onion, in a steamed bao burger.
- Stir-Fried Pak Choi and Garlic – Stir-fried baby pak choi, with garlic, ginger, soy, and sesame oil.
- Spicy Pepper Cauliflower – Cauliflower marinated in a light spice and fried until crisp. Topped with red chilli and spring onions.
Soups and Broths
- Miso Soup – Wakame, tofu, spring onion, and soy bean broth (unlimited refills).
- Chocolate Pot – A delicious chocolate pot with a hint of miso and vanilla.
- Fresh Fruit Plate – A refreshing mix of grapes, watermelon, pineapple, and strawberries.
For more info, please check the Yo Sushi website
If you have any updates or comments about this, please add them below, we want this to be as updated as possible so any tips you have will be greatly appreciated!
Last Updated: 09 May 2019
First Written: 24 May 2015