Please note, this will need to be chilled for at least 4 hours (ideally overnight) in the fridge before eating.
This recipe is the perfect plant-based option for those with a larger amount of chocolate to put to good use. With a chilli kick, the mousse can be topped with a variety of ingredients such as pomegranate or mango slices – or even more chocolate pieces!
300g 85% vegan dark chocolate, broken into pieces
1 pinch hot chilli powder
250ml aquafaba from organic tinned chickpeas (approx. 2 tins’ worth)
1 tsp lemon juice
60g golden caster sugar
200ml coconut cream
1 tsp maple syrup
50g 85% vegan dark chocolate, grated and set aside
- In a glass bowl set over a pan of simmering water (or microwaved in 30 sec bursts), melt 300g of the broken chocolate until smooth, then set aside to cool. Once cool, stir in the chilli powder.
- Place the aquafaba and lemon juice in a large bowl and using electric beaters (or a standing mixer) whip until stiff peaks form. This might take up to 15 mins.
- Once the mixture reaches stiff peaks, start adding the sugar 1 tbsp at a time, whisking continuously.
- Now, using a large metal spoon, fold ¼ of the melted chocolate into the aquafaba quickly. Then, gently fold in the rest until just combined.
- Transfer the mousse to 8 glasses, give each glass a gentle stir with a teaspoon or toothpick to ensure even setting, then transfer to the fridge and chill for a minimum of 4 hours or ideally overnight.
- Just before serving, place the coconut cream in a bowl and whisk with the maple syrup until thick. Dollop a tablespoon of the cream onto each glass of mousse, then scatter over some of the reserved grated chocolate. Serve and enjoy.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Category: Desserts